Monday, May 11, 2009

April 14th 2009

On the 14th of April my mother peacefully passed away into the arms of her eternal sweetheart. Mom has had a very difficult two years. She has missed Dad incredibly. It has been three and a half years since he passed away. She had a cerebral hematoma that robbed her over a period of time of her ability to communicate, dress or feed herself or a million other things she had always been so careful about doing for herself. I thought I would only feel joy when Mom was released from all of this. I have been very happy for Mom but it has been surprisingly hard for me as well. There is a huge hole inside of me.

We were able to have all of Grandma's children, grandchildren, their companions and a number of great grandchildren here for the funeral. We had some wonderful visits with each other and saw and heard from many cousins and friends that we haven't seen for a long time.

The other good part of this time was the increased focus on memories and our years with her. My appreciation of mom's life, all she accomplished, her strength, her love of life and kindness is magnified. I realize at this point ( as I should have realized long ago) how much I owe to Mom.

Thank you Mom.

1 comment:

Laurie HF said...

It was a very wonderful funeral, and I know that your mom is proud of you. I love you too!